4DSOUND OPEN CALL 18/19 OCTBy: 4DSOUND, CDM, Ableton, Liine & FIBER
Saturday 18 October – Sunday 19 October
What’s possible when the experience of sound can happen in more dimensions? We invite artists and hackers to explore the 4DSOUND system using a variety of tools of their own choice, culminating in new experiments in sound, music, and performance. This Hack Lab is hosted by CDM (createdigitalmusic.com), Ableton, Liine, and FIBER at Amsterdam Dance Event (ADE)
Media can include:
- New music and sonic creations in Max for Live and Ableton Live
- New control interfaces with Liine’s Lemur app
- New interactive UIs built in Canvas on Lemur (familiar to those who have worked with Web technologies)
- New sound, control creations in other tools (Reaktor, Pure Data, Processing, etc.)
- Visuals projected onto the 4DSOUND system (projection mapping, live VJing)
Previous experience in all of these tools is not required. Artists and coders alike are welcome. You might be a musician interested in exploring your instrument or voice with a spatial interface, or an artist interested in making visuals on the surface. You might be a coder or patcher eager to explore new tools. You might have some novel technology you would like to interface with a spatial sound rig. Perhaps you’re doing something completely different we haven’t thought of!
A limited number of participants will be invited to participate. We provide:
- A pass to the week’s 4DSOUND performance series at ADE, including the Raster-Noton showcase and other events
- Free entry to the full Hack Lab weekend
- Access to the 4DSOUND system and gathered experts from 4DSOUND, Ableton, Liine, and CDM
- Workshops and education, including a master class by Vladislav Delay and panel discussion on spatial and immersive sound
- A chance to give a short public performance/demo
- Food and refreshments for the weekend
We regret that we can’t provide other expenses. Travel and accommodation is the responsibility of participants. However, there’s no charge to participate.
- Saturday 18 October
– Arrival of all participants (latest, 10 am, assuming you weren’t already enjoying the week’s 4DSOUND events)
– Master class by Vladislav Delay
– Meeting fellow participants, collaboration discussions
– Introduction to 4DSOUND system
– Introduction to control tools in Ableton Live, Max for Live, and Lemur (and compatibility with other tools)
– Attend evening performance by Martin Stimming
- Sunday 19 October
– Full day of development with access to the system
– 19:00 Short performance/presentations
Final panel discussion on the future of spatial production and immersive sound, with Martin Stimming, Peter Kirn (CDM), Jarl Schulp (Fiber), Olaf Bohn (Ableton), Gareth Williams (Liine), and Paul Oomen (4DSOUND)
To apply, fill out the entry form by 23:59, Sunday 14 September, and let us know a little bit about your work and skill set and what you hope to accomplish. We will select a group that we think can collaborate well on the system and that represents a variety of interests.
We look forward to meeting some of you in Amsterdam!